Most fans of martial arts also tend to take an interest in combat sports. While boxing is one of the most obvious examples, mixed martial arts is perhaps the more popular with modern audiences.
MMA has really taken off over the years and now includes several top-class competitions which provide bone-crunching action to enjoy.
Of all the iconic MMA competitions to follow, UFC is the one which attracts the most attention. This is not a surprise when you consider the huge bouts it regularly hosts — with the upcoming contest between UFC icon Max Holloway and rising British star Arnold Allen being a case in point.
This clash marks former UFC featherweight champion Holloway’s return to the octagon and should be a must-see battle.
But when is this fight due to take place and how might it go?
When is Holloway vs Allen taking place?
This keenly anticipated featherweight clash in the 145-pound category will take place on April 15th, 2023 at 8:30PM EST at the T-Mobile Arena in Kansas City. Part of the UFC on ESPN 44 event, it will be broadcast on ESPN and ESPN Desportes.
In addition to this, it will be shown in Spanish and English on ESPN+. It is key to note that the preliminary fights leading up the main event will only be shown on ESPN+.
What can we expect from Holloway vs Allen in April 2023?
One thing which is fairly certain when considering this bout is the high level of interest it will generate. This should result in a huge audience of combat sport fans tuning in to see who emerges victorious.
In addition, many of these fans will also add more excitement to watching what happens by betting on the outcome.
As with sports like boxing, betting on UFC bouts such as Holloway vs Allen is something people love to do. Just remember to find the top US bookmakers to place wagers with first, as this means you not only get the best bonuses to use but also gamble at a safe, legitimate site.
In terms of the fight itself, we expect fireworks when the action starts. Holloway is known for his all-action striking style and the number of punches he throws each round.
Allen is also someone who is adept at striking and this means he too will not be shy of trading blows with his opponent. As a result, this should be a thrilling but potentially close encounter.
Can UFC great Holloway win on his return to the octagon?
Although his trio of losses to Alexander Volkanovski slightly tarnished his UFC record, there is no doubting what an elite level fighter Max Holloway is. He has been outstanding in the featherweight division overall throughout his career and built up an enviable reputation as a result.
So, can he get the better of Allen in this contest?
When considering why he could make it a successful return to action, we need to factor in the below which could help:
- Plenty of experience fighting in UFC
- Knows how to handle the pressure of big fights
- Powerful striker
- Durable and seemingly impossible to knockout
- Tough as nails and never gives up
- Uses gamesmanship in the octagon to get the mental edge on opponents
The last point seems especially pertinent as Allen himself has mentioned how he thinks the biggest challenge to deal with will be Holloway’s gamesmanship once the action gets underway. Of course, it might not be all plain sailing for Holloway and the below could go against him:
- Taken a lot of hits over his career which could take its toll in this fight
- Lost last fight so could be low on confidence
- Not fought since July 2022 so might be a little rusty
- Can be susceptible to leg kicks
- Not overly comfortable fighting on the ground
Can Allen add to his growing reputation with a victory?
Arnold Allen is a rising star in the UFC and has not lost a fight since he was brought into the organization by Dana White. He also seems pretty confident for this battle, as Allen calling Holloway’s ‘mileage’ into question for their meeting shows.
There are certainly plenty of good reasons to think he could add to his reputation with a win here and start to look at a title fights against Volkanovski.
But what goes in his favor for this clash?
- Younger, fresher and has taken less hits than Holloway overall
- Powerful puncher with good footwork
- Good combination hitter and excellent in the clinch
- Good ground skills
- Unbeaten in UFC and full of confidence
- Super-motivated to claim a huge scalp in UFC icon Holloway
While the British athlete does have a few good reasons to think he could win, the below are also areas of concern for him:
- Not much big fight experience – could the pressure be too much on the night?
- Not as much experience overall as his opponent in the octagon
- Can be a little too easy to hit in striking exchanges
- Too aggressive at times which leaves him open to counters
- Very tough and durable opponent who is one of the UFC’s best-ever competitors
Holloway vs Allen: Conclusion
Just as finding out the key equipment for training MMA is something any mixed martial arts athlete should do, digging more into top fights like this one is also wise for MMA fans.
When you take one of the greatest UFC fighters ever and pair him with a fighter who seems destined for the top himself, you know you will have a bruising encounter to enjoy. That is just what is in the cards when Max Holloway takes on Arnold Allen in mid-April 2023.