Way of Martial Arts (wayofmartialarts.com) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This site also participates in other affiliate programs and is compensated for referring traffic and business to them.
There are a lot of Taekwondo equipment/gear you should use if you are planning to train this martial art the right way, and there is even more of it all over the internet, but in this article, we are letting you know which of those Taekwondo equipment/gear is the best for you.
What is the equipment used in Taekwondo?
In a Taekwondo match, or in a training, each competitor/student wears several pieces of protective equipment and these are:
- Head guard
- Chest protector
- Hand protectors
- Forearm guards
- Groin guard
- Shin guards
- Break boards
- Punching bag
As you can see, in Taekwondo there is a lot of equipment used, and it is not always easy to find out what is best for you.
But don’t worry, because below we will advise you what are the best pieces of these protective gear for a Taekwondo competitor/student.
Best Taekwondo Equipment/Gear (2020)
Best Taekwondo Head Guard – RDX Headguard
Maya Hide Leather Construction – RDX Head Guard is contrived with Maya Hide Leather material that refuses to split, fray, or tear. The material reassures resistance against tapping out on performance. It further strengthens the product to last long even after demanding and harsh training sessions during MMA, Taekwondo, Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and more.
TRI-Slab & Shell Shock Gel Lining – This Head protector is constructed with compact Tri-slabs of shell shock gel lining for impact interrupting the performance. It guards your head by delivering robust shock absorption. Highly thick Tri-slab padding promises the absolute volume of force to be dispensed through improved support.
Quick EZ Hook-and-Loop Closure – Quick-EZ hook-and-loop strap offers a protected and adjustable fit reducing chances of head protector of slipping off. Unique Quick EZ-Strap provides steady closure while stabilizing it solidly and allowing the optimum amount of head flexion with the support of the attached elastic band.
Removable Face Grill – This Face protector ensures high-quality protection with face grill that ensures you stay secure against nasty cuts and blows to your face. The PVC protective grill battles high impact strikes. It further confirms your vision is not disturbed, hence you stay secure and confident during training and sparring sessions.
Compressed EVA-Lution Sheet – This Head Guard is an enormously solid and compressed EVA-Lution sheet that delivers eventual impact resistance. The shock resistance sheet makes this head protector almost invincible, allowing you to dish out some major force with full conviction. It is exclusively manufactured for real tough training sessions.
Why use Taekwondo head guard:
The main purpose of a head guard is of course safety. However, it’s widely regarded that they are more effective in preventing superficial face injuries such as cuts, rather than brain trauma, in fact, according to an AIBA study, referees had to stop matches for head injuries (aka likely concussions) more often when boxers were wearing headgear.
But, you don’t want to get out from every training with your face looking like it was hit like a truck, so that would definitely be a good reason to use the head guard.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo head guard:
We find RDX Headguard an extremely comfortable, usable, and durable head guard, and it offers what you need – head and face protection.
Unfortunately, even thou we find it the best Taekwondo head guard, it is not without problems. It lacks a good line of sight. But, we solved this problem by taking the saw and cutting it to where the straps attach. That completely solved this problem, and still, we had an amazing and completely functional head guard.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo head guard, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Chest protector – Wesing Chest protector
- Constructed from solid sewing oxford leather
- XPE foaming and bamboo chip inserted inner provide better shock absorption
- Backstrap with a buckle for adjustment and easy wearing
- Suitable for Martial Arts, Taekwondo, Boxing, MMA, Muay Thai, Sanda, and all sports need chest protection
- Unisex design and three colors on selection
Excellent Material – WESING Martial Arts Chest Protector is made from Oxford fabric and foaming bamboo inner. Oxford fabric is soft, breathable, and easy to maintain. Lightweight inner allows athletes to move more fast and flexible.
Better Protector, Better Protection – Ergonomic design offers better wearing experience while training. Chestguard absorbs pressure and energy and protect athletes from injury and hurt.
Back Strap Closure – Strap on the back which is adjustable and fit well. WESING Logo on the back strap makes you recognize the chest guard is genuine.
Why use Taekwondo chest protector:
Like head guards, chest protectors are made to absorb and distribute the force from a striking object so that the individual wearing the protective gear experiences less of an impact.
Because of that, chest protectors are able to reduce the risk of traumatic structural injuries to the chest, like rib fractures. Unfortunately, they have not been proven to be effective in preventing sudden cardiac death from commotio cordis.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo chest protector:
We have found that Wesing Chest protector really does a great job. It’s sizing is just on spot, it doesn’t impede your motion, its lightweight, and it provides just enough protection to prevent rib breaks and most bruising but on the other hand, you’ll still feel the blows and want to protect yourself, and not depend only on your chest protector. Easily one of the best Taekwondo equipment.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo chest protector, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Hand protectors – Adidas
Adidas Taekwondo hand protectors are WTF (World taekwondo federation) approved.
- Made of PU/Neoprene combination
- Guards wrist, back of hand, knuckles and fingers
- Comfortable as well as easy to wear and remove
- Fast dry and moisture absorption
- Adidas quality product WTF approved
Made to be lightweight for easy mobility. Open finger design for more flexibility. Velcro strap design for comfort and easy adjustments. Spandex material for more breath-ability. As well as added padding for more absorbent perspiration.
Why use Taekwondo hand protectors:
Hand protectors make you feel less pain while hitting your opponents. Also, probably even more important, they will protect your hands and wrists from injuries.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo hand protectors:
We are very pleased with these Adidas hand protectors. They offer great, firm padding, with even more around the thumb.
It offers extra strap that wraps around the wrist, so it can offer even better protection and not slip away.
We have used them for a few months, and for now, we don’t see any signs of wearing.
The only downside to them, they only come in white color.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo hand protectors, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Forearm guards – Whistlekick
- #1 SPARRING GEAR BRAND – Simply the best martial arts sparring gear! The best choice for men, women & children looking for a Karate, Taekwondo, or Kickboxing sparring gear set of forearm guard
- THE MOST PROTECTION – These martial arts forearm & elbow guards feature double-thick 1″ of premium padding where it counts – right on the forearm
- BETTER FIT – Special curved design holds these martial arts sparring forearm guards tighter to your forearm, which works much better than the “flat” design others use
- LESS SWEAT – MORE COMFORT – Better airflow makes these taekwondo sparring gear set of forearm guards more comfortable and less sweaty than the competition
- IMPROVED STRENGTH WHERE IT COUNTS – Their design team has again come through. It just makes sense to double the protection when trying to make the best elbow guards out there. And they have added very little weight in the process
- UP TO 3 YEARS OR MORE, DURABLE – They want the best of quality materials that they can craft with to ensure products are firm and will stand the test of time and to bring you the best product for every use. Reliable and efficient
- MEN, WOMEN, & CHILDREN – They have sizes to accommodate everyone. Sizing standards vary among different manufacturers, so they recommend that you order the size that normally fits you best. All available sizes are displayed on the sizing chart, use it for your size reference
Why use Taekwondo forearm guards:
Every injury can remove you from training and competitions for a long time, the same goes for forearm injuries, so don’t let t happen, and use Taekwondo forearm guards.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Forearm guards:
We have found that these forearm guards from Whistlekick are very well constructed. They are a little bulky, but you can sure take a lot of impact through them!
These forearm guards really offer amazing quality, and we have used them a lot in the last few months, without any signs of wear. Whistlekick has become very known for excellent and quality Taekwondo gear.
The only thing to look out for are the straps that tend to be made a bit long so be aware that you may need to shorten them to get a good fit.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo forearm guards, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Groin guard – RDX
- Handcrafted with tough Maya Hide leather for long-lasting life and durability. (CE Certified Approved)
- Supremo Foam technology dissipates the force of shock upon impact, efficiently guarding the vital areas such as the groin and kidneys.
- Double layered closed-cell foam with hard shell plastic cup does away with unfortunate shots to region
- Handy cup compartment which allows you to use additional cups for double the security
- Ergonomically designed shape for the best fit and comfort during training with a compartment to conveniently place a groin cup (CUP NOT INCLUDED)
Engineered to support the athlete’s body and movements. Although it provides a high level of protection, it does not compromise on mobility at all.
Supremo Foam Technology absorbs shock and impacts effectively while providing absolute comfort all through. You can wear the groin protector for longer stretches without feeling itchy or soar at all.
Intended for grueling sessions that demand an extreme amount of protection during sparring and clinching. With elasticated strap and lace-up closure, it will position itself securely to give you the most comfortable fit ever.
RDX Groin protection is suitable for a range of contact sports, and its tough Maya Hide Leather construction, coupled with Supremo Foam Technology offers maximum protection and traction free secure fit that allows it to stay right in position. The Double Layered Close Cell offers eventual protection to your groin from the nastiest of impacts. Handy Cup Compartment features extra space for the placement of an additional cup for diverse contact sports that include Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA, Boxing, Muay Thai, Karate, Taekwondo, Wrestling, Lacrosse, Baseball, and more. Elasticated Waist Band and Lace-up Closure allow you to showcase an unrestricted range of motion without hindering your movement while keeping your guard securely in place.
Why use Taekwondo groin guard:
To look out for your future family 🙂 Ok, enough with jokes, but we do think you know why you should use groin guards, at least if you have ever been hit in groins.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Groin guard:
These groin guards are extremely comfortable and lightweight. They fit over boxers as well as under gym shorts.
They don’t limit flexibility at all, which is in fact very hard to find with groin guards.
About the most important part, it’s groin protection. We have deliberately tried it with few shots to the most sensitive region, and have to say they really showed themselves and done what needed to be done in the first place, and that is secure your groins from unwanted shots.
Also, we would add, they protect the abdominal region as well. They really protect you well.
They don’t have downsides if you are thinking about using them as equipment for Taekwondo, Karate, Boxing, Kickboxing, and similar mostly standing martial arts, but due to the lower stomach protection and the way the cup is made, it makes it difficult to do somethings on the ground. So if you are planning to use them for ground training/competition, you should look or some other groin protector.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo groin guard, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Mouthguard – Shock Doctor Gel Max
- CUSTOM COMFORT & FIT – Gel-fit Liner Technology is easy to fit, our mold forms specifically to your teeth and gums, providing a comfortable fit for extended use, available in a variety of customized colors
- BREATHABLE – Integrated breathing channels make it easy to breathe while wearing the guard and maximize your performance
- PROFESSIONAL DENTAL PROTECTION – Heavy duty Exoskeletal Shock Frame provides full mouth protection during the hardest impacts, protects cheek and tongue, teeth grinding, and secures teeth in place
- DURABLE – Crafted using heavy-duty material, combined in our Triple-Layer Design for added protection and durability
- RECOMMENDED SPORTS – Suitable for all contact sports where a mouth guard is required or recommended including football, taekwondo, wrestling, boxing, and more! Includes a detachable helmet strap for football
Why use Taekwondo mouthguard:
New teeth are expensive, so don’t let them fall out. A mouthguard is a protective device for the mouth that covers the teeth and gums to prevent and reduce injury to the teeth, arches, lips, and gums.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Mouthguard:
It offers great protection, amazing comfort, as well as durable and excellent build. There is nothing more to say about good things because this is what you really expect from great Taekwondo gear.
But, there are some things to look out for. First of all, they are just too small regarding its size. So make sure to check that out before buying, we had to order two because of it.
Another thing to look out for is instructions. You should really follow the instructions closely or they won’t make a good fit.
If you take care of those two things, you will enjoy your new mouthguards.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo mouthguard, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Shin guards – Venum Elite
- Premium Skintex Leather Construction – Made with 100% Skintex leather, our elite standup shin guards’ combines comfort and great durability at an affordable price
- High-Density Foam Padding – High-density foam with additional padding (shinbone and instep) for enhanced shock absorption
- Large Velcro Enclosure – The 2 large Velcro straps and the elastic bands placed under the foot and heel ensure you a secure custom fit
- Multi-density foam with reinforcement on the shin and neck of the foot
- Two wide elastic bands for support: one under the foot, the other behind the heel.
- Anatomical design: maximum mobility
- Handmade in Thailand
Specially created for the elite fighters who are looking for superior and up-to-date fighting performances. Its pro-anatomical reinforcement on the key areas – shinbone and instep – delivers ultimate protection and optimal striking surface. The 2 large Velcro straps and the elastic bands placed under the foot and the heel insure you a secure custom fit. Handmade in Thailand with a 100% Skintex leather construction, “Elite” standup shin guards combines high quality, great durability, and affordable price.
Why use Taekwondo shin guards:
A shin guard or shin pad is a piece of Taekwondo equipment worn on the front of a fighters shin to protect it from injury. This is due to either being required by the rules/laws of the sport or worn voluntarily by the participants for protective measures.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Shin guards:
Ok, these shin guards are just amazing and probably the best for every martial art. We have tested them in Taekwondo training as well, and they are by far the best we have used.
With these shin guards, you can probably fill the most difference between cheap ones and these, more expensive ones, than anywhere else on this list of best Taekwondo equipment/gear.
We have tried a few cheaper ones, and unfortunately, our legs suffered greatly. Not only that, but one of our instructors had to pause for 5-6 weeks after sparring with cheap Taekwondo shin guards.
Do your legs a favor and take the ones that cover and secure your whole legs, where you almost can’t even feel you where hit.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo shin guards, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Footwear – Mooto Wings
- Excellent adhesive
- Strength endures hard exercises
- Backstay minimizes transformation of shape
- Synthetic leather has high durability and is the fittest for TKD shoes made of lightweight material
Why use Taekwondo Footwear:
Taekwondo shoes allow fighters to reduce or avoid injury as well as eliminate the impact of forceful kicking, sparring, and jumping that has made the sport popular. There are many other reasons why users should wear Taekwondo footwear and the biggest one is the protection of the feet.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Footwear:
These are extremely comfortable shoes, have good arch support, protect your from foot injuries, and even if you are not the best fighter, you will surely be the best looking fighter in them. Also, they are very durable.
They are very easy to clean, just look out for sizes, they tend to be bigger than normal shoes.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo footwear, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Uniform – Adidas ADI-Start II
The original Adi-Start uniform was the best seller in Korea. It was popular for its ribbed fabric and economic cost. The NEW Adi-Start II is an enhanced and newly designed uniform which utilizes a brand new fabric developed by Adidas. The new material is an improvement in design and comfort and is WTF approved. Please note the front emblem has also changed on the new adistart II TKD uniform.
Why use Taekwondo Uniform:
Taekwondo uniform consists of spacious long pants and a short coat that allows the students to move freely. So, you have to have something on while training or competing, so why don’t use something comfortable.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Uniform:
Adidas ADI-Start II is a very comfortable and durable Taekwondo uniform, that will suit you well in your training or in competition.
Sometimes they can get stiff, but after one washing they become soft. Just take a good look at what size you are taking.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo uniform, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Belts – Tiger Claw
- 100% Heavy Duty Cotton
- 1 3/4 inch wide
- Multiple lengthwise stitching for durability
- Ends folded and stitched, NOT just heat cut
100% cotton belts are strong and firm yet soft enough to tie easily. The belts measure 1 3/4 inches wide. Size 0 has a length of 82″. Size 1 has a length of 91″. Size 2 has a length of 95″. Size 3 has a length of 102″. Size 4 has a length of 108″. Size 5 has a length of 111″. Size 6 has a length of 119″. Size 7 has a length of 127″.
Why use Taekwondo Belt:
In Taekwondo, belts are used for holding your uniforms (Dobok), and ranks. Unfortunately, ranks in Taekwondo are not standardized, and you can find out more about the Taekwondo belts ranking system in our article on the link.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Belt:
Extremely durable belt, a little stiff in the start and very light, but after a few uses it breaks in, so the knot keeps tied reasonably well.
You probably can go with some Fuji or Mizuno belts, but you will pay about 10 times the price of these. We don’t think that it is worth it.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo belt, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Break boards – Ace Supply Rebreakable Board
For the starters belts that are looking to improve their strength, a re-breakable board is a proper tool for you.
The re-breakable board is padded on both sides for better protection when in use, the double locking hoops make it possible to re-break this board over and over again without losing resistance.
Each color represents a different difficulty level, red being the lowest level of difficulty and black being the highest level of difficulty which is equivalent resistance to a 1″ pine board.
Warning!: Deluxe Black’s difficulty is equivalent resistance to three 1″ pine board. It is recommended for side and back kick practice without holding multiple boards.
Why use Taekwondo Break boards:
Breaking boards can be considered as a form of martial arts target practice because this act teaches students to focus on a specific point with full power.
Even the most powerful students will fail to break the boards or concrete if they can’t hit the right spot.
Likewise, hitting something in the right spot but with no power will also lack the desired effect. Therefore, board breaking is important Taekwondo equipment and shows that technique is more important than power.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Break boards:
These are great and extremely durable Taekwondo break boards, excellent gear for beginners, and advanced Taekwondo users as well.
You can choose between multiple boards in different colors and hardness, or take a bulk of them so you can even combine them to make it even harder, just don’t overestimate yourself.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo break boards, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Pads – Overmont
- Suitable for All Ages: This taekwondo boxing pad is designed with an adjustable armband that both adults and children of all ages and sizes can easily use
- Safe for Beginners: The dimensions of the front striking area are roughly 16” x 8”, which is big enough to securely cover your arm and ensure your safety
- Durable and Lightweight: Made of high-quality PU leather and filled with thick sponge, Overmont taekwondo pads can withstand strong punches and kicks while weighing only 9oz. Great for daily training and easy transportation
- User-Friendly and Comfortable: The PU leather handle is ergonomically designed and the elastic armbands are very comfortable. Also, the pad’s blue base is tightly woven with tough strings
- Powerful: Classic boxing colors of red and black to ensure you get a full taekwondo experience and feel powerful and strong. The character on the front of the pad means strength, power, and bravery
- Professionally manufactured to absorb strong punches and kicks, strikes and blows, hooks, and jabs over and over again
Why use Taekwondo Pads:
Taekwondo pads can significantly improve your training experience while protecting your sparring partner. They are ideal partner-focused gear that provides the best possible workout for both of you.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Pads:
These Taekwondo pads have amazing design and durability, they are great when absorbing hits while also not hurting you when you punch and kick, and they have nice straps at the back for better hold.
The pads are multi-functioning and can be used in several ways. Great Taekwondo equipment for training at home with your spouse/husband, or your kids.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo pads, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Punching bag – Everlast
- Kit includes 70-Pound heavy bag, heavy bag gloves, 108-Inch hand wraps, and bungee cord
- A heavy bag stuffed with a custom filling of natural and synthetic fibers blended with sifted sand
- Heavy Bag gloves and wraps for protecting your hands against the abrasion of the bag
- Customizable height with adjustable chain
- Bungee cord for adding greater resistance to the bag
- 70 lb heavy bag constructed from super tough and rugged polycanvas material
- The specially blended filler provides resilient shock absorbency
- MMA heavy bag gloves made of high-quality synthetic leather with a supportive hook-and-loop wrist strap
- Ideal for heavy bag workouts
Everlast warrants its products to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 120 days from date of purchase, provided they have not been subjected to obvious abuse, neglect, or misuse. Everlast’s sole liability is limited to repairing or replacing products that are returned within this 120-day period unless specific product literature specifies otherwise.
Why use Taekwondo Punching bag:
A punching bag is a part of Taekwondo equipment able to improve your fitness level and overall health. When you strike at a punching bag, it requires a lot of physical exertion and tests your strength and stamina. For most people, this form of full-body engagement helps burn calories while strengthening core muscle groups.
Heavy-bag workouts are extremely intense, they burn fat, and can help you be better able to defend yourself if someone tries to attack you.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo Punching bag:
Very good punching bag with the bungee and a loop on the bottom of the bag to use a weight for bag stability.
With it, you also get wraps and MMA gloves, which are good for entry-level and amateur boxing work. If you want something better, check our recommendation for best hand protectors.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo Punching bag, look no further, and check it out here.
Best Taekwondo Bag – Adidas Defender III
- 100% Polyester
- 100% Synthetic lining
- 10″ shoulder drop
- Gently wash by hand. Do not bleach. Line dry
- 11″ high
- 12″ wide
- Lifetime warranty
- Extra roomy main compartment that stands tall for easy packing
- 2 zippered end pockets with space for your team’s branding and a new zippered outside pocket to stash the little stuff
- Reinforced 3d ripstop material – built to stand up to wear and tear
This duffel has everything you’re looking for in a classic gym bag. The main zippered compartment is roomy enough to stash your gym clothes or cover you for a long trip. Now with a zipper on the front of the bag for extra storage. With reinforced ripstop fabric and a lifetime warranty – This bag is built to last.
Why use Taekwondo bag:
Well, you need something to carry your Taekwondo equipment, so why not use the best bag possible.
Our short review of the best Taekwondo bag:
We took a small size bag, and we are very pleased with it. First, we thought it will be too small, but really all your Taekwondo gear will fit into it. Its size is bout two soccer balls. Both ends have zippers, so you can cram a hairdryer or your shoes in too.
Its material is very thick and durable, so this bag will really suit you well, and not only for Taekwondo training but for all other equipment.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo Punching bag, look no further, and check it out here.
So that is it, that is all equipment you need for Taekwondo, or you can take only those gear you think you will use.
If you are looking for the best Taekwondo equipment then just follow our advice and you are on the right path to make your training better, more comfortable, and enjoyable. Good luck.